This is a hopefully weekly post where I share the things that are lighting me up. I get very, very into things and I love to tell people about the things I am very, very into. Here’s what I’m obsessed with right now:
My friend Laura just launched WILLOWGOLD, the online-only successor to her former brick-and-mortar boutique, Willow, in Ithaca, New York. Laura has phenomenal taste, and I’m really excited to hand her a bunch of my money. I just ordered this top, which is absolutely beautiful (and an absolute steal at $46!):
They’re currently doing a giveaway on their Instagram, meaning you could get one of two $50 gift cards to spend at the store.
2. “Old Town Road”
Because I am very old and uncool, I only listened to “Old Town Road” for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t totally get it at first, but then I watched the video, and now I’m a convert. I can’t really explain this one; you’re going to have to experience it for yourself:
3. Joining a CSA
After four years of intending to sign up for the CSA that picks up on my corner, I finally managed to join it this year. My first pickup was last Tuesday, and not only do I not have to go grocery shopping again until after I get back from my trip next weekend, I’m actually not “allowed” to until I eat everything that’s already in the house.
I was a little overwhelmed by the number of different greens I received because I’m not a big salad person. (OK, that’s an understatement; I fucking hate salad.) But by having shelf stable legumes and whole grains on hand, it’s a lot easier for me to create meals that don’t make me feel like a rabbit (or leave me starving).
4. 2H 2019
I am VERY excited about the second half of this year. I spent the weekend wrapping up some pre-work so I can hit the ground running on some creative projects this month. The novel I’m planning to try to sell this year just passed 70,000 words/250 pages, so it’s ready for some deep editing.
Next weekend, I’m heading up to Massachusetts for a retreat led by Nicole Antoinette, and I could not be more excited to spend a few days refining my goals for the second half of the year, writing, hiking, doing yoga, and getting to know a bunch of awesome new women/NB people.
5. Having creative rituals
I’m not always a big routine person, but lately I’ve adopted a few rituals that serve as creative maintenance for me. They are:
- Joining a remote Caveday whenever possible to stay focused on my to-do list and big-picture goals. As I write this, I’m wrapping up the final cave of one.
- Volunteering as a reading tutor every week (twice a week during the school year)
- My Wednesday morning writers’ group, conveniently located a short walk from my apartment ❤
- Stoop Meditation! Every Thursday morning, you’ll find me on the stoop with Danielle and friends. One of my favorite discoveries of the past year, starting the day with Stoop always sets the right tone. I wish I could bottle up Danielle’s energy and spirit and carry it with me throughout the day.
- Bi-weekly calls with my accountability partner, Ivy Jelisavac, who also happens to be a really good friend I’ve never met in person. I’m so lucky to have Ivy in my life — working with her has transformed my creative work, and her creative output is truly aspirational.